Strafford Historical Society

P.O. BOX 100, STRAFFORD, VT  05072

AT THE BRICK STORE

 

JANUARY, 2003                                                                 c. 1910                                                          MAY 4, 2014

The Brick Store in Strafford’s Upper Village has been the home of the Strafford Historical Society since January 5, 2003, thanks to the generosity of Kendall Mix and family. On that date, the society, homeless for almost 50 years, moved its collections from storage space in Gwenda Smith’s house on the Common, into the Brick Store Meeting Room, located behind the Post Office area. Half of that room housed our archives of photographs, documents, and artifacts from Strafford’s past. The other half, separated off by display panels, was used for meetings, research, and exhibit space for the twenty-seven different exhibits mounted there over those ten years. As our collections grew, the room became increasingly inadequate, a problem solved last fall by the kindness, once more, of the Mix family. Phoebe Mix, her son Michael, and friend Sandy Preston moved all the African Art from “Africa Place,” allowing SHS to use the three-room wing for our Strafford History Center. The African Art will now be for sale in the Meeting Room, on occasion.

 

Strafford Historical Society Invites You to the

~ GRAND OPENING ~

Sunday, May 4, 2:00 ~ 4:00 PM

of our new location in

The Brick Store

Exhibit of Strafford in 1810 ~ 1820

A New Book MINE AND MEN

Musicians and Refreshments

 

The history of the Brick Store wing began in 1805, when it was the Harris’ Store, a wood-framed building owned by John Harris of Plainfield and run by his sons, Jedediah Hatch Harris and Thomas Jefferson Harris. In 1834, that building became a horse and buggy shed when Jedediah built on a larger brick section to enlarge the store. Later, the wing was enclosed for storage, and subsequently remodeled in 2002, by Kendall Mix, for offices, and then for retail space called “Africa Place.” The Historical Society is fortunate to find itself in an historic structure, whose old, dark beams remain as reminders of the original Harris Store of 1805.

Please join us on Sunday, May 4 from 2:00 to 4:00 PM for the Grand Opening of our new Historical Society headquarters! Help us celebrate with live music and old-time refreshments, and view our new exhibit, “Taking the Turnpike Into the 19th Century: Strafford 1810-1820.”

Strafford Historical Society is open to the public Saturday and Wednesday mornings 10:00 AM to Noon. Or, call Stefanie Johnston, Curator, for questions or appointments (802) 765-4057.

* * * * *

STRAFFORD HISTORICAL SOCIETY

ITEMS FOR SALE

EARLY HISTORY OF STRAFFORD………………………….$25.00

MINE AND MEN: The Story of Copper in Strafford, Vt…….$20.00

THE TOWN HOUSE…….……………………………………...$10.00

STRAFFORD ORGANIZATIONS HISTORIES…….…….…...$5.00

A SHORT HISTORY OF STRAFFORD……………….……….$3.00

A LITTLE GIRL’S DIARY…….…..……….……………….…$12.00

GIFT PACK OF DIARY & VIDEO…….………………….......$20.00

STRAFFORD GENERAL STORES DVD…………………….$10.00

COLD HARVEST DVD….….………..………………………...$10.00

LAND FOR LEARNING DVD…………………………………$10.00

BUTTON, BUTTON DVD……………………………………...$10.00

OLD-PHOTO POST CARDS (New Set).………………....…….$5.00

“STRAFFORD CELEBRATES”  250TH FLAG……….……...$25.00